Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

I know what you are thinking...SOUP?  It was 94 degrees today?!?  Are you crazy?
Yes.  Yes I am.
For this soup that is.  Someone I know posted it on a message board I frequent and I thought I would give it a try.  After checking over the recipe I noticed a few things I wanted to change and did.  :)  So...here is my version! WARNING!  I like spicy foods.  Feel free to reduce the taco seasoning! 

Ingredients:
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (16oz) can chili beans, undrained (mine was kidney beans with chili sauce-vegetarian)
  • 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) chicken broth
  • 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
  • 1/3 cup taco seasoning
  • 3 1/2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • shredded cheese, optional
  • sour cream, optional
  • tortilla chips, optional
Directions:
  1. Add onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and chicken broth to the slow cooker.   Stir well.
  2. Add the chicken breasts on top and push them down into the mixture until covered.
  3. Set slow cooker to low and cook for about 5 hours.
  4. Remove chicken breast and let them cool a bit.  Once cooled enough to handle, shred the breasts with two forks.  Then return the breasts to the slow cooker and stir.
  5. Cover and continue cooking for 2 more hours.
  6. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment