Sunday, August 7, 2011

Banana Bread

Cleaning the kitchen counters this morning I was excited to find out my bananas were super ripe.  First thought that went through my head was WOO HOO!  Banana bread time.

Being addicted to Pinterest, I decided to see if I could find any interesting recipes.  I found one, then I changed a whole bunch of things.  So I can say that this recipe is made, by me!  An original!  Woot!

Now, this bread is moister then most.  So it does not have the hard crunchy top, but fabulous. 

I love honey.  I think using it gives the bread an interesting flavor.  If you are not a honey fan, or don't have any, you can substitute 2/3 cup sugar in its place.  This will probably also help with the lack of crunchy top.  Also I am guessing this is why the bread has a darker color to it.  This is not burned in the least bit, but just darker then a normal loaf.

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 cup honey, I used clover honey
2 extra large eggs lightly beaten, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup mashed very ripe banana, 2-3 depending on size
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
 
Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 305*F.   Lightly spray an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with baking spray.
  2. In one bowl mix the mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla, and vinegar.  Set aside.
  3. In medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Set aside.
  4. In the bowl for a stand mixer beat together the butter and honey for about 2-3 minutes.
  5. Add in the flour mixture.  I added this in three batches so my kitchen did not get covered.  Mix until combined.
  6. Add the eggs and mix until fully combined.
  7. Using a spoon stir in the banana mixture until just combined.  Do not over mix.
  8. Pour into your prepared loaf pan.
  9. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment