Friday, July 22, 2011

Soda Cake!

I have to admit.  I was VERY skeptical about this cake.  I still can not figure out how just two ingredients make this happen.   
Eggs?
Oil?

Nope.

Just a box of cake mix and a can of soda.  Weird, right?  But it turned out awesome!  It had the consistency of an angel food cake.  Light and fluffy and has that sticky quality to it.  I made mine with French Vanilla Cake mix and Diet Orange Crush soda.  I have heard that the key to this is use dark soda with dark cake (Coke with chocolate cake) or light soda with light colored cake.  Like mine!

Oh...so good no icing is needed!

Ingredients:
Box of cake mix
Can of soda

For mine I did French Vanilla and Diet Orange Crush.  Not sure if you HAVE to use diet, but helps with the amount of sugar!


Directions:
Pour soda into the cake mix and follow directions on the box without adding anything else.  All done. 

For mine:
Pour soda in the cake mix.

It was rather neat how bubbly/foamy it got.  The foam stayed until I mixed it.  Definitely cool part for the kiddos.

Mix 30 seconds on low speed, then mix 2 minutes on medium speed.
The blender being pulled out ALWAYS pulls him in.  Don't mind his hair.  We are getting it cut this weekend.  :)



Pour into cake pan, I did 9x13" glass pan (bottom sprayed with nonstick spray)
Give kids the beaters since there are no raw eggs in it.


Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.

My oven is typically warmer so I put it in for 28 minutes.  After checking with a toothpick it was still gooey, so I put it in for another 4 minutes.  Then is was done.

Remove from oven and cool.  No icing needed.  The pictures don't do it justice.  I couldn't get it out very easily since it is sort of sticky.  But it does taste fabulous!

Thanks Ashley for the idea and Becca for the flavor combination!

This combination tastes JUST like a Creamsicle.  YUM!

I would love to hear what combination you have tried!

2 comments:

  1. I've done this, and also angelfood cake with a can of crushed pineapple. That was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this with an added can of mandarin oranges mixed in. Frosted with cool whip and garnished with more mandarin orange slices.

    ReplyDelete