Sunday, July 17, 2011

Prune Baby Food

Prunes are baby food from the Gods.  Once your kiddo starts eating more then milk/formula things can be a bit "tough" for them.  I find myself cheering for V. "Push them out Push them out WAY OUT!"  TMI?

Anyway, if she gets prunes a lot, things are much better.  The only challenge I find in packaged baby prunes are you can't really find them past stage 1.  They also cost a crazy amount.  You can buy a container of prunes for less then $4.00 and so far I have made about 8 meals out of it and still have enough to make about 4 more servings.

So $4 versus about $14.00 (Amazon price).  Which do you think I chose?
Do I have something on my face?
Prunes are not cute and pretty, so I started with a picture of V enjoying her prunes.  Hope you don't mind.  :)

Ingredients:
1 cup of prunes
water (I used filtered, you could use spring)

I chose bite size, just so my Baby Bullet wouldn't hate me as much.
Put the prunes in a bowl and add warm water.  
I actually boiled my water and poured that on the prunes.
Before soaking
Let the prunes sit in the water until they soften.  I added water to mine and let them sit for about 2 hours.  Not because they needed that long, just because I had to run out to my sons class.

Once softened, remove from the water(Don't pour it out!) and place the prunes in your Baby Bullet, blender, processor, whatever you have to grind it up. 

After soaking-notice how they are less wrinkly?
PLEASE check your prunes for pits and pieces of pits!  They say they have removed the pits, but some make it through!  I know I pulled out a large one and you do NOT want to break any equiptment here.  Sort of defeats the purpose of saving money if you have to buy a new blender.

Start grinding the prunes.  For one cup I needed to add about 1/4 cup of the reserved water to get the consistency Veronica likes.  She is about 7 months at this point and does thicker foods.  Just add water to your desired thickness. 

Mmm....LUNCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment