Thursday, August 25, 2011

Garlic Breadsticks, Olive Garden style

According to my son, everything is cheesy.  As in, it has lots of cheese in it.  These have NO cheese, but they sure were cheesy!  Never question a five year old when he is eating something new.  Just nod and say YES.

We typically have homemade pizza night once a week.  Super easy and quick to make.  I was getting really run down and bored with pizza night, so I decided to spice it up a bit and add some garlic bread.  I skipped on over to Pinterest and found a fabulous recipe.  This is from the blog Full Bellies, Happy Kids.

After reading on their blog a bit, I found at that they are having to move their blog due to people stealing their posts and using them as theirs, pictures and all.

It is a shame that people would stoop so low.  That is why I always take my own pictures and give credit to where credit is due.  As I said in my original post, I find recipes, make them to suit my family, and occasionally fiddle around with them enough to be able to claim them as mine.

This would not be that time.  Totally copied it.  Hope you like it!
Ingredients for the breadsticks:
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (between 110 - 120 degrees F)
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (one package active dry yeast)
  • 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt 
Ingredients for the topping:
  • 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. In a stand mixer dissolve the sugar and the yeast in the water.  Cover with a towel and let sit for about 10 minutes.  Mixture will become frothy.
  2. While waiting, in a separate bowl mix together the flour and salt.
  3. After the yeast sat for 10 minutes, remove the towel and add the flour mixture.
  4. Add the melted butter.
  5. If you have one, attach your dough hook to the mixer and turn it on 2.  Let it mix everything together, about 20 seconds, then knead the dough on setting 2 for about 2 minutes.  Be careful not to over mix.
  6. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, I used two pans, and divide the dough into pieces.  I made 10 sticks.  I will probably make them a bit smaller next time.  I'll try for 12.  That way I won't feel as guilty eating as many as i did. (Only 2)


     7.   Roll into log form and cover with a towel. Let it rest in a warm place, about 85F
           for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Outside on my picnic table was perfect for this 
           tonight.
     8.  Preheat your oven to 400F.  Once warm, put these in for about 6 minutes.  
     9.  While baking, in your microwave melt a stick of butter (1/2 cup) with 2 teaspoons
           garlic powder and 1 teaspoon salt.  When the timer goes off, brush the rolls with 
          half the butter mixture.
    10.  Put the sticks back in the oven for about 6-9 more minutes.  Just keep an eye on 
          them.  When browned, remove from the oven and brush with the remaining butter
           mixture.
ENJOY!!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment