Friday, July 8, 2011

Rice Congee

Congee- A Chinese rice gruel eaten for breakfast.

An unsweetened. unseasoned rice pudding.  I think I like that definition a bit better.  Either way, that is what Veronica is eating tonight!

This makes about 2 cups.  You can serve plain, to your baby, or spruce it up with fruit for a yummy breakfast!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup short grain rice (I used Thai fragrant)
2 1/2 cups water (I used filtered)

Directions:
If you have time, soak the rice for 2 hours in plenty of cold water, then drain.  
If not, put the rice into a roomy pot and add the water.  
To make the pudding the rice needs to absorb A LOT of water. (4 times their own volume) 
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat.
LOOSELY cover.
Simmer gently for AT LEAST 30 minutes.
Stir occasionally, until you have a soupy, soft pudding.
For babies- I would cool it down.  Don't want to burn their little mouths!

Warning! Warning!  I did not simmer gently.  Mine sort of cooked out all the water before it got to  soupy state.  If that happens to you, just add a bit more water, reduce to SIMMER, and keep cooking!


Enjoy! I know I will!  I think I am going to add a dash of cinnamon and a few raisins to this and have dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment