Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Bar

So these bars are my adaptation from the Quantum Wellness CleanseThe original called for dried cherries...which I did not have.  I actually had some.  I bought some EXCLUSIVELY for this recipe.  AND I bought dried blueberries to add as well.  RIGHT as I was getting ready to add them, as in I already measured them and put them in a bowl, I noticed they were sweetened.  DANG IT.  Oh well.

It was too yummy looking and smelling.  I had to snag a piece.
 Ingredents:
  • 1/2 cup vegan butter
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 2 1/4 cups steel-cut oats (uncooked)
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
  • 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh
  • 1 banana, smashed well against the side of a bowl
  • Egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs (Try Ener-G brand), prepare according to the directions on the box
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F
  2. Put the butter and agave in a small pan over medium heat and stir until melted
  3. Mix oats, coconut, baking powder, and sesame seeds in a large bowl.
  4. To the oat mixture, add the prunes, apricots, and blueberries.  Mix well.
  5. GENTLY fold in the egg replacer.
  6. Add the agave/butter mixture and banana to the oat mixture. Mix well.
  7. Pour into a square baking pan.  Mine was 8x8
  8. Bake for about 25 minutes.  Let cool and cut into 9 bars.

The "bars" were very soft.  The recipe said to remove them from the pan and then cut into bars.  This was not possible for me.  I cut them, but kept them in the pan and keep the pan in the fridge.  Messy to eat, but yummy.  I am thinking the fresh blueberries added more moisture and that is why they are soft.  Oh well.  Still yummy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment