Sunday, September 18, 2011

The BEST apple pie you will ever eat...seriously.

I go to the Farmers Market every Saturday.  I have a booth there.  There is a little old lady next to me named Selma.  Every week she talks to me about food.  Whether it is tomatoes, corn (her favorite), or lately apples.  This got me thinking about apple pie.

I like apple pie.  It is decent.  But it never really does it for me...until now.  This recipe I found is phenomenal.  Seriously.  The apples cooked to perfection and there was a caramel syrup you poured over....SO GOOD.  Not your traditional apple pie.  No seasonings involved.  AT ALL.  So if you want a pie, but your pantry is lacking, this recipe is for you.

 Ingredients:
  • A pack of refrigerated pie crust.  (I used Pillsbury sheets. If you are adventurous you can make your own crust.) 
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 8 apples peeled, cored, and sliced (Pie quality.  I used Fuji.  I also adore Pink Ladies)
Directions:
  1. Place 1 crust in the bottom of your pie plate.  
  2. Spread your apples into the crust, mounding slightly.
  3. Top the apples with the second crust lattice style.  (I used pie crust cutters from Williams Sonoma and cut leaves out.  Basically you just want something to allow steam to escape and to let your caramel  seep into the pie.  )
4.  Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar 
    and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes. 
5. Pour the caramel SLOWLY over the crust allowing it to drain down through the holes.

6. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes.  
7. Reduce heat to 350F and continued baking for 35-45 minutes.  You want it to be 
    browned and bubbly. Place tin foil around the edges of the pie, or use a crust shield to 
    prevent over browning.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment